Vegan Loaded Nachos
Kyle and I have been marathoning King of Queens lately. We just looove that show! Mainly because the main characters, Doug and Carrie remind us of us, and the father, Arthur, reminds us of Kyle’s mom. Haha! And of course, what’s a marathon without some munchies!?
I do love nachos. Kyle, on the other hand, not so much. Though I don’t like cheese (never have), oddly enough loaded nachos always hit the spot for me! But since I turn veggie, I haven’t had loaded nachos. I’ve never found a vegan one. So! To me, if I can’t find it, and I want it, I’ll make it!
And once you hit that fresh salsa, juice just bursts out in your mouth. It’s a whole load of satisfaction!
There’s nothing better than incorporating fresh produce into your meals. Every summer, we (Kyle, his mom, and I) will have an abundance of produce that we grow ourselves – zucchini, squash, chili, Swiss chard, red cabbage, herbs, tomatoes, and many more! The tomatoes! They’re always thriving!
We even put out a stand in the driveway, so people in the town can just walk up and buy some fresh produce.
Kyle’s mom has been growing tomatoes for about 35 years. Her tomatoes are THE.BEST tomatoes I’ve ever tasted! It’s soft and juicy and not at all acidic. Which, apparently, is what tomatoes used to or supposed to taste like. So if you happen to be in the neighborhood, come by and get some tomatoes! :)
A giant load of tortilla chips
¾ cups cooked black beans
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chipotle
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup salsa
⅓ cup guacamole
Fresh jalapenos, chopped
For the queso:
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
A pinch of Himalayan/sea salt
1/4 cup salsa
For the salsa:
1 lb tomatoes, diced
1 medium red onion, diced
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
For the guacamole:
3 ripe avocados, pitted
½ a small red onion, minced
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
6 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
Juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Make your salsa ahead. In a large bowl, stir in chopped tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make your guacamole ahead. Scoop the flesh of avocado into a bowl, pour in lime juice, and mash them together with a fork.
- Add in the tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add more lime juice if needed.
- Stir in the cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make your queso. Place all ingredients (except salsa) into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer queso mixture into a saucepan and warm over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in DRAINED salsa. You don’t want to add more liquid into the queso.
- In a separate sauce pan, warm your black beans along with cumin, chipotle, and garlic powder.
- Assemble your nachos. Arrange chips in a large serving plate. Add toppings in desired order. Enjoy immediately!